The land that is now occupied by the municipality of Marsella initially was occupied by the native Quimbayas. Many years later and as a result of the migration of the Antioquia (because their lands were exhausted by mining and its people fed up with unemployment) our lands were colonized by those adventurers who made their way along trails from the newer towns of Antioquia. Don Pedro and his family were the first in reach and after, thanks to their invitation, others “paisas” motivated by the promise of a land rich and fertile, were moved to Marsella’s lands.
Our municipality‘s economy is primarily agricultural. Marsella’s lands were born starting from ash volcanic, which makes extremely fertile and suitable to grow almost any product although currently dominates the coffee, banana, avocado, citrus, flowers and foliage.
In 1914 the flourishing municipality institutionalizes the “Tree Party”, reaffirming the common sense of the founders who always wanted to preserve natural resources.
In 1954 an araucaria was sown as a symbol in the center of the main square.
In 1975 the “Culture’s House”, building were houndreds of people grow in cultural and music habilities, started ecological campains.
In 1978 the “Culture House” institutionalized the Environment World Day in the municipality.
In 1979 the Inderena declares area of reserve forest protective of La Nona, an area of 1492 acres.
In 1982 was created the Marsella’s Ecological Group “GEMA”.
In 1987 the company Bavaria grants to the municipality of Marsella the Environment National Award, by his consecration in the defense of natural resources.
In 1988 the ONU awarded the prize “Global 500“ to Mr. Manuel Salazar Echeverry by his work ecological in the lands of La Argentina farm, that nowadays is property of Café Hacienda Horizontes and is where organic coffee is grow.
In 1989 Marsella is declared “Green Town of Colombia” and unique in the Department of Risaralda.
In 1991 the Ministry of Health gives the “Jorge Bejarano” Award to Marsella as a model of water conservation in Colombia.
In 2010 the Society of Public Improvements, returning to our vocation, managed to impose the project of converting the curves effect in the highway Marsealla – Pereira, an opportunity for contemplation, enjoyment, the cultural and economic development of an entire region of the municipality applying the Slow Town philosophy.